Who Run The World? Girls! #RuggedRoses



Did I tell you about my girls group? 


Okay, so a few months ago a few girls at the school approached me and asked me to lead their girls group...





Hummm, me in charge of a mentor group to help encourage young black women in America - I'm all for it!

I was honestly flattered and honored that they chose me. There are a few other female staff members they could have went with, but they asked me. Awesome right? Anyhoo, we've been going strong for about 6 months now and we recently had our first "dress up" day. The boys group dressed up a couple months ago, and stunned the school with their bow ties, dress shirts, and shoes. They looked dashing! Naturally this inspired the girls to want to have their own day - as it should!

Fast forward - 3 months later

I find myself in Queens Center Mall attempting to shop for outfits for our first annual "Dress Up Day". After spending a solid 4 hours and 45 minutes in the mall the ladies finally all found something to wear. I planned on purchasing something as well, but by the time we were done shopping for them I was tired. Which is interesting because I love shopping, but all the walking and indecisiveness made me want to take a nap lol.

The next day they arrived at school beaming with pride because they looked great, and didn't have to be in uniform. Throughout the day people provided them with compliments, head nods, and smiles. Most of them were so excited about their outfits that they stated they were going to wear similar clothing all the time. You don't know how happy that made me.  I love to see young women comfortable in their skin, with the proper understanding that you don't have to be half naked to be sexy or deemed worthy of a compliment.

We took to the hallway at lunch for our photo shoot - I finally put that Canon Camera to use - they posed, laughed, strutted, and beamed at the camera. Check them out!








How cute are they?

These are young women 16-17 who put together school appropriate outfits with little interference from me...after my speech about the inappropriateness of crop tops in an academic setting. They still pulled it together regardless and looked absolutely fabulous! #Proudmama



Outfit Details

I don't remember exactly which pieces came from which stores because we walked into almost every establishment in the mall, but I remember a little something something. 

From left to right: 1- 4

1. Black and silver shimmer sandals - Aldo


2. White and Gold Sandals - Aldo
    Skirt - Love Culture
    Shirt - Forever 21 

3. Me :)
    Dress - JCPenny 
    Shoes - Lolashoetique
    Chain - Forever 21

4.  Top - H&M
     Skirt - Charlotte Rouse


Love ya!


 - Sassy ' N' New York


     


Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments: