New Artist Alert! BRYSON TILLER TRAPSOUL ALBUM REVIEW


First and foremost, if you have no idea who I'm talking about you need to crawl out from under that rock and get your life. I don't know where he came from, but it's about damn time. As we all know the music industry is notorious for signing random ass artists that don't live up to the hype, which is why it always amazes me that independent artists spring up out of no where and single handily shut shit down. 

With that said, TRAPSOUL IS BOMB. I am loving this album! Co-signed by Drizzy himself - he definitely lived up to the hype. I guarantee you this kid is going to be the next big thing. The 22 year old, Kentucky native released his debut album, TRAPSOUL,on Apple Music and the album is already No. 2 on the iTunes R&B Albums Chart & No. 6 on the iTunes All Genres Chart. Those titles are well deserved...TRUST.

The album is great from the intro to the very last song. Bryson shares his story with us through his music, he talks about love, lust, hurt, relationships, family, his personal journey as well as his mistakes. It's raw and REAL, which we all know is a rare commodity these days. 

From the production to his smooth vocals and DOPE lyrics ugh! It's crazy! I can't even begin to explain to you how smooth his transitions are. We get a taste of that in the opening song - Differences, everything transitions into each other amazingly. Working with legendary producer Timbaland whom also co-signed Tiller, Milli Beats and others. The beats on this are MAD. Mind you, I don't listen to trap music - that music has too much going on for me, but Bryson's version of R&B trap is bomb. I LOVE IT. Understand me...He's amazing. I honestly can't choose a favorite song, the album in its entirety is BONKERS. TRAPSOUL is wavy, don't sleep on this kid. 

A basic synopsis of his album won't do it any justice so I'll share my thoughts on every single song on the album, lyrics and all. Ready? Here we go! 





1. (Intro) Difference

Honestly, they're isn't much to say about the intro besides the fact that his voice is tantalizing. What I can say, is that the intro glides perfectly into the second song. I didn't even realize the song changed until I looked at my phone. I was wondering why the hell the intro was so damn long. lol The transitions on his album...GRADE A.  

2. Let Em' Know

I love this damn song, there are way too many lyrics to choose from, but I'll keep it as short as I can. 

Right now, you are now tuned in, Pen Griffey I'm still going in. "Who is he?" Mothaf***a' I'm him.

Ha! Bryson starts off by introducing himself, compares himself to Pen Griffey indicating that he has more content on the way. Well, at least that's how I interpreted it. Also, people have been asking about him and his spontaneous come up in the game. 

I know we ain't had this conversation in a minute but you know what they say if it ain't broke then don't fix it, it's clearly not broken it's just so unfinished. I feel like my new bitch was just your apprentice so we just got into it, here comes the ending. You said this shit would happen girl, that was your prediction. Said I'll never find no one like you and I should have listened. 

Now how many of us have said the last line to an ex. "You'll never find someone like me" etc. Were you right or naw? Are they struggling? lmao that's petty... but oh well! 

I know it looks simple on paper, but you have to hear how he made it all flow. I'm struggling to express how bomb this guy is. Just listen to the album! PLEASE. 


3. Exchange 

This is my JAM. When I play this on my way to Pathmark and other cars pull up next to me they're like ...


I got the hand gestures and facial expressions on point.

But it's all good, because this song is well worth the crazy looks. 

Give it a listen and you'll definitely agree.





Lord please save her for me, do this one favor for me. I had to change my play of ways got way too complicated for me. I hope she's waiting for me. Everywhere she go, they playing' my song, that's why I say the things that I say that way I know you can't ignore me. 

So gimme all of you in exchange for me
Just give me all of you in exchange for me, for me. 

For those of you who know me, you know it doesn't take much for me to get emotional. I am a sap for romantic comedies, romantic dramas etc. As for music, when men produce ballads or rap/ballads about their exes or ladies...I just can't. I LOVE IT. The great thing about this song besides the fact that he's expressing his love for his ex lady is he switches from singing to rapping... effortlessly. I kid you not, the transition was so chill. I guarantee you this will be one of your favorite songs on the album.


4. For However Long 

This wonderful song features a sample of Jodeci's "Alone". Needless to say, this is a great song. From the production to the lyrics, the track is seamless. It's definitely a banger. 

Stepping out, know I want you on the side of me. Mama, you could work, full-time with me, roll through in the Beamer, get inside 'Til the wheels fall off, that's how long you can ride with me.

Are you a rider? Bryson expresses his thoughts on a ride or die. I mean c'mon, who doesn't want that? 

5. Don't 

For those of you who knew about Bryson before reading this article, you know that this was his breakout song. I love, love, love it! The beats throughout the entire album are amazing, but this song in particular... classic trap, With a TWIST. This is one you need to hear so give it a listen! Like... NOW.

Lately you say he been killen the vibe, gotta be sick of this guy. Pull up, skurt, get in the ride. Left hand is steering, the other is gripping your thigh. Light up a spliff and get high, shawty you deserve what you been missing' looking at you I'm thinking he must be trippin' play this song for him tell him, just listen. 

In other words, if you want to keep her you better treat her right. Trust and believe someone else is waiting to swoop in and snatch her ass up. Make smart decisions fellas!! 

Bryson blessed us with a video for Don't! Check it out below. 


6. Open Interlude

This song transitions into the second half of the song where the beat and melody change entirely. It's smooth.

Alright, so in the first part of the song he illustrates to us that he's with the girl he's talking to and they're chilling and rolling up. 

Nows the time to just clear the air, put this shit back in motion. Now you finally open, I'm just tryna be only...You ain't look me in the eye once.

This is your average behavior at the beginning stages of any relationship. AKA It's relatable. 

Don't wanna act all nonchalant, that would mean that everything we talked about was all for nothin' ohh, girl I've been so afraid. Baby, I've been suffering', does that mean nothin'? That's gotta mean something. 

In the second part of the song it's evident they've been dating for a while, but now the aura is starting to shift. The honeymoon phase is officially over. I love that he talks about the fact that he's affected by her nonchalant behavior. Honestly, Drake is the only rapper who talks about topics such as this. It's great to hear about it from someone in our generation though. Go head Bryson! 

7. Ten Nine Fourteen 

When artists keep it real their music is almost ALWAYS relatable. He doesn't just talk about females and money, but he lets you into his world by discussing his short comings and struggles. How can you not respect that? I'll say it again, this kid is DOPE. 

You know me, I gotta keep it real on this shit. My shawty mama put me out the crib, nigga I was paying' bills, almost got a third job, she don't know the way it feels. But look, look at how a nigga living. My dream just got a lot more vivid. 

See, when you fall flat on your face, there's no where to go but up. 

8. The Sequence 

Another car classic.. this song is everything.

I've been dreaming about the most recent I don't lie, no I don't pretend and your guard up, thats defense. Let it down, girl I swear I won't let you down. I ain't 2Pac, I don't get around. Was cool at the first, but I get it now, I get now. You know all of my secrets and you know all my weaknesses. 

Yet another song expressing his love for his ex. He explains that he knows he messed up and that he definitely has to get his shit together. The beat though... Please just buy the album LORD! 

9. Rambo 

Right! This song is more of a banga than anything else. The beat is HARD. I feel like I'm bout it when I listen to this one lol. 

Rambo, they begging for mercy, like the lambo'. No they told me kill them all, goddamn though I know they want to see me fall, look where I am though. On two feet, that's where I stand though.

#Boom

10. 502 Come Up 

One word, amazing. 

I know I say that a lot so this should be a clear indication that this album is everything. From the beat to the lyrics...everything = perfection.

Woke up in the hills this morning, asking myself, how did I get here this morning? Vante Parker in that teal and orange and Russell in that gold and purple. Youngest from the Ville, imported, I used it sit up in my room and ponder finish school and get a Doctors. I'm twenty-two, I gotta get it now Man who knew he'd have it figured out? 

11. Sorry Not Sorry 

I need you guys to know that he used the Street Fighter sample. CLASSIC. 
Anyhow, people and their flip flop tendencies. As soon as you get a little pocket change people want the world.  

I used to think about how you would act when a nigga got money. Now you done switched up on me. Now you wanna say "what's up?" to me. Okay so now you wanna make love to me. 


12. Been That Way 

This was the second song I heard from Bryson and instantly fell in love with him and the song. It's a BIG TUNE! 

I wanna know how we became so distant girl, the way we fell in love it was almost instant. I'm tryna find a way around it, girl tell me how you feel about it. You still love me, that's the way it sounding, Thank God I would have never found this, I doubt it I'm there for you if you allow it. 

13. Overtime

So your new guy thinks he can keep you by buying fancy shit huh... sike. You mine girl come here! *picks up belongings and dips with Tilla* lmao 

The song starts in the middle of a conversation. I kid you not, I thought Rihanna was speaking. I re-played the song at least 3 times and declared to my boyfriend that Rihanna was on the track... it wasn't her...obviously BUT they sound exactly the same. Give it a listen.

Wonder where you at, I just might hold you for ransom. Aww man, he just bough a Balmain he thought that would keep her 'round but he thought wrong, nothing at all thats what she got on. And she will get up and leave him for me, I know I mean how could he not know.

^^ Damn. 

14. Right My Wrongs 

I love that he jumped back into his R&B roots for the last song on the album. Throughout the album he jumps between singing and rapping, but by placing a strictly harmonious R&B track at the end he managed to bring the album full circle. This song is yet another ballad to an ex or current girlfriend - so you know I love it. Most importantly the harmonies in this song make my day Every. Single.Time.  

I say you don't need nobody else, feels like you don't got me so you feel like you've been by yourself. I've been feeling kinda down myself. I've been going through it as well. Girl, I guess time will tell, thats the problem, I ain't got any left. There's somethings I can't help, but you would make the time for me. 

I adore this song in particular because it feels like he's sharing his thoughts with US (the listeners) but perhaps isn't brave enough to tell his lady. Sort of like a redemption song. He never meant to hurt her etc. Well, whoever she is I hope she loves this song as much as I do. If I were her I would definitely call that ass after hearing this heart wrencher...I'm just saying. 

****************************************************************************************************

I've broken down every song on this spectacular album. If you took the time to read the article in its entirety then you NEED to either stream the album or sample it via iTunes. It's $8.00...c'mon. START DOWNLOADING. 

Happy Listening!





















Love,

 - Sassy ' N' New York


Images: (giphy,karencivil,dailychiefers,tumblr)






Share this:

,

CONVERSATION

0 comments: