Braid Care 101




Braids are an evolutionary style and, this summer/fall, they're not going anywhere! 

With a classic look such as this, keeping your hair style flawless is key. Braids tend to get a bit on the raggedy side, but only because YOU allow them to do so. You have to show those braids who's in charge! Let me hook you up real quick!

Here are a few tips to keep your braids - and scalp - feeling and looking fresh.

5 simple rules to help keep your braids fresh and long lasting! 

* Try to wash your braids every week or bi-weekly to add extra moisture to your hair. Mix half a cup of shampoo (sulfate free) with three cups of water - boom, problem solved.  :o) 

* Stop your stylist from braiding too tightly and avoid constantly keeping your braids in tight updo's. I know its hella hot outside and the last thing you want is to have all that hair on your neck and shoulders - but keeping your hair in high buns or tight ponytails can damage your hairline! You plan on keeping your edges...or nah? 

*If you suffer from dry scalp, or your scalp tends to be malnourished from time to time, massage in a natural oil like - extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, etc.

* Create your own moisturizing serum, or use braid spray to moisturize your hair daily and keep it from locking while in the protective style- especially if you plan on keeping them in for longer than 4 weeks. I don't really like braid spray, so I make my own moisturizer (water, extra virgin olive oil, any shea moisture conditioner) or use the Karen Body Beautiful Hair Blossom Moisture Mist. - It smells amazing. 

* This is optional - You can walk with a soft-bristled brush, or a toothbrush - go with the toothbrush, they're cheaper and they get in the hard to reach places. Use the brush of your choosing to tidy your baby hairs aka edges. Edge control does nothing for me ...my hair has a mind of its own. Cantu leave in conditioner, on the other hand, works magic! 

FYI: After long wear, braids won't look as fresh as they did when they were first installed. If you do your own hair then you have an advantage. I do the braids around my hairline looser than the rest of my head, because of how fragile my edges are. Due to the looseness they tend to frizz more than the other braids - so I take them out, gently snatch my edges and slap them right back in. #flawless

How to lay down your edges

I'm sure most of you know how to do this but in case you don't - here's a "how - to" 

1. Brush & smooth hair in the direction you would like your edges to lay. Most people aim for their hair to go in a swooping upward motion. If that's not your thing that's fine, do whatever makes you happy. 

2. Apply either your edge control, conditioner, gel, etc. to the edges and brush them with the toothbrush in whichever motion you like.

3. While brushing your edges use a finger or fingers to smooth down the hair you've just brushed. This helps prevent clumping! 

4. When you're done and the hair is smooth and in place, tie a satin scarf around your head - sort of like a headband. You can keep that on overnight or for about 10-15 mins - that's what I do. This summer has been brutal so when flattening your edges (with your scarf) be sure to be by some sort of air supply - i.e. AC, fan, whatever. Otherwise, you'll start to sweat, and laying down your edges will be a complete bust. 

No Edges?

It is possible that your hairline has receded or your edges have been snatched off. It's stressful when your edges decided to leave you for dead, but no worries! There are a bunch of different products you can use to encourage them to come back. 

Jamaican Black Castor Oil - Strength and Grow Restore Hair Serum  - Girl listen, when my edges went on vacation and didn't tell me - I used this baby to bring them right the hell back. Honestly, this serum had my hair growing like weeds! My edges came in back in record time. At the time of my regrowth process, I used this product three times a week for about 2 months. My edges are long enough to wrap around my fingers... umm thank you, Jesus!

Jane Carter Solutions - Scalp Nourishing Serum  - This serum is made specifically for people who have dry /flaky scalps. A lot of the time flakes and dryness can be the reason for slow hair growth. This product helps to cleanse the scalp AND improves circulation which promotes hair growth! Yes, you'll be flake-free in no time! 

And there you have it, 5 simple rules for fabulous braids. 

Love your hair, and the skin you're in! 

Happy Moisturizing! 

Love, 

  - Sassy ' N ' New York 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments: